Compared to the older German battleships, the five ships of the Braunschweig class showed a improvement mainly in the artillery component. The main artillery grew to 28 cm guns while for the first time 17 cm guns were used as secondary artillery. Being maneuverable and good seagoing ship, they tend to roll in heavy seas, bud did not take over much water as it was common for other German ships of this era.
Like their follow ups, the Deutschland class, those ships were obsolete at the outbreak of the war and their active duty was limited to coastal defence only. They were among the few old battleships that Germany was allowed to keep after World War One and they were actively used by the Reichsmarine until the mid 1930.
were converted to mother ships or F-boats in 1919. Preussen
was sold for scrap in 1929, and broken down in 1931. A 65 meter long section of the hull survived and was used as a target for torpedo and mine experiments. It was sunk by bombs in April 1945 and broken down in 1954.