In July 1943 this destroyer joined Z31
in Norway and it was one of the escorting destroyers during the attack on Spitzbergen. As part of the 4th destroyer division, Z33
escorted the battlecruiser Scharnhorst
on its final mission and stayed in Norway until February 1945 where it took part at the sea and air battle in the Fordefjord on 09.02.1945. Send to Narvik for repairs the ship returned to Germany shortly before the capitulation and was decommissioned on 07.05.1945. Added to Soviet Navy lists on 05.11.1945, it was taken over by a Russian crew on 02.01.1946 and arrived at Libau on 17.01. Renamed to Provornyy
on 13.02.1946, the ship was used as flotilla leader for the North Baltic Fleet. Since it wasn't possible to repair the damaged engine system (port shaft and backwards turbines), the ship was send to repairs to the Rostock Neptun shipyard. On 12.01.1949 it was reclassified as a destroyer and in spring 1950 it was rearmed with Russian anti-aircraft guns. It served until 30.11.1954 when it was reclassified as a training destroyer and on 01.03.1958 the Provornyy
was disarmed at Leningrad Naval Base, on 03.04 of the same year it was reclassified as floating barrack PKZ-149
to repair and rescue service. On 27.10.1961 it was removed from the navy lists and scrapped after that.