The Flottenbegleiter F2
was used in the 1st Geleitflotille after being commissioned. Put out of service in April 1939 to be rebuild to a torpedo recovery vessel,
but reconstruction was stopped on 01.04.1940. F2
then was then attached to the 25th U-Flottilla and recommissioned on 06.04.1940. During its time as a torpedo recovery vessel, all of its 10,5 cm guns were removed. In June 1944, the Flottenbegleiter was again used in its original role, as part of the 5th Geleitflotille (Escort flotilla), it was used in the eastern part of the Baltic Sea.
Taken over by Britain after the war and transferred to Scapa Flow. Anchoring at a buoy, the ship sunk in a storm on 30.12.1946 at 58°50'46"N/03°11'30"E. The wreck broke into two pieces. Sold for scrap in 1967 and partly scrapped after that, but parts were still existing in 1989.