Kriegsmarine Ships
Heavy Cruiser
Light Cruiser
Torpedo Boats
Fast Attack Boats
Mine Hunter
Auxiliary Cruiser
Landing Crafts
Fleet Tender
AA Batteries
U Boats
Training Ships
Misc Ships
Auxiliary Ships
Ship Index
Captured Ships
Naval Aviation


Leichter Kreuzer 1934 - 1961  Nürnberg  Class

   Info   History   Operations   Technical Data   Photos   1:1250 Model 
02.11.1935:   Commissioned, followed by trials until March 1936.
Apr - May 1936:   Battle training in the North Atlantic.
June 1936:   Fleet operations in the Baltic Sea.
Aug - Oct 1936:   First Spain operation.
Nov - Dec 1936:   Second Spain operation.
Apr - May 1937:   Third Spain operation.
Jun - Aug 1937:   Fourth Spain operation.
-March 1939:   Fleet operations.
May 1939:   Visits to Sweden and Norway.
August 1939:   Patrols in the western and middle Baltic Sea.
Sep - Oct 1939:   After the Poland Campaign, the Nürnberg transfers to the North Sea to the B.d.A. Several mine laying operations in the North Sea and along the British coast.
12-13.12.1939:   While covering a mine laying operation of five DDs, the British submarine Salmon torpedoes the CLs Nürnberg and Leipzig . Both ships return to Germany.
Dec 1939 - May 1940:   Repairs in dock.
July 1940:   Joins Scharnhorst , Gneisenau and Admiral Hipper at Drontheim. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau are sent home at July 20th, but the Gneisenau returns after a torpedo hit.
25.07.1940:   Together with four DDs, the Nürnberg escorts the damaged Gneisneau back to Kiel.
Aug 1940 - Nov 1942:   Used in home waters.
12-18.11.1942:   Z23 , Z25 and Z29 escort the light cruiser Nürnberg on its way to Trondheim.
02.12.1942:   Joins the battle group consisting of Admiral Hipper , Lützow and Köln in the Altafjord and Tirpitz in Drontheim. The Nürnberg is stationed in Narvik.
Spring 1943:   After the Admiral Hipper and Köln were sent back to Germany, the Tirpitz , Lützow and Nürnberg are joined by the BC Scharnhorst .
May 1943:   On her voyage back to Germany, the Nürnberg is attacked by two British MTB. Used in the Baltic Sea.
January 1945:   Operations in the Skagerak while laying the "Titus"-minefield.
27.01.1945:   Stationed in Copenhagen harbor, the Nürnberg defends itself with Flak guns against attacking Danish partisans. The ship surrenders in Copenhagen at the end of the war.
24.05.1945:   Escorted by the British CA Devonshire and CL Dido , the Prinz Eugen and Nürnberg sail to Wilhelmshaven.
05.11.1945:   Light cruiser Nürnberg entered on the Soviet navy records and was assigned to the Baltic fleet.
16.12.1945-02.01.1946:   Stationed in in Wilhelmshaven, German crew under command of KzS Helmut Gressler had turned over to the Soviet commission and crew headed by Vice-Admiral Rall
02.01.1946:   The cruiser, accompanied by other five ex-German ships (namely destroyer Erich Steinbrink , torpedo boats T33 and T107 , dispatch vessel Blitz and target ship Hessen ) sailed for Libau.
05.01.1946:   Arrived at Libau. German commander and the remaining German personnel were to be landed there. The ship, according to the memories of the sailors having served aboard her, was remarkable for high quality of construction, quite a good dwelling conditions and, despite some battle damages, was in a good technical conditions. Renamed to Admiral Makarov.
15.02.1946-02.12.1955:   Served as flagship of the 8th (Northern Baltic) fleet (based at Tallinn). The cruiser's entry allowed to replace the only cruiser of the 8th fleet (Kirov ), which hit an German magnetic mine on 17.10.1945 and was badly damaged, being put out of action for a long time. During 1949-1950 the ship was  partly modernized and repaired in the Kronshtadt by the project of the Central designers' office No.17. During the modernization, the ship war rearmed with Soviet AAguns, including  20 x 3,7 cm guns. At this time, the participated  in the shooting the film "Unforgettable nineteenth"
21.02.1957:   After breakdown of the main boilers, ship was re-classified a training cruiser and employed for the training duties (based at Kronshtadt).
20.02.1959:   The ship was disarmed and stricken from the Navy records.
13.03.1959:   The command of the Admiral Makarov was disbanded and ship had been broken up at the Coaling harbor (Leningrad) until February, 1961. By the memories of the old workers from Kronshtadt, which took a part in scrapping the ship, her hull became in amazingly good condition, the  "outer wallgang" didn't suffer from the corrosion. After repairs at the shipbuilding facilities in Eastern Germany the cruiser might continue her service for some years more. However, there are two decisive factors that affected on the ship's fate: first, Soviet governments course for "wiping out the cruisers as a class" of the fighting ships which don't conform to the modern conditions of the armed fight; second, categorical requests from Moscow to clear the fleet from the captured ships as not conforming with the existing domestic requests for the constructive vitality (it could be probably explained by the tragedy of the ex-Italian battleship Novorossijsk which sank in Sevastopol in late 1955).

  [BreElf94]   [BreKoo95]   [Groe_1]   [JaneFSII95]   [Whi88
  Thanks to:  L. Bashkirov  D. Zhukov  F. Tordesillas  M. Disney  A. Kyd-Rebenburg