The four ships of the Königsberg II
class were part of the constant development of small cruisers in Germany. Like their half sisters, the Pillau
class (which original was build for Russia after modified plans of the Königsberg II
class) they were equipped with 15 cm guns, giving them a much higher offensive potential than the older cruisers, only equipped with 10,5 cm guns.
Like other German small cruisers, they had a mixed coal/oil fires boiler system. They were maneuverable ships, but their stern tended to take over much water at high speed.
was also scuttled at Scapa Flow, but the scuttling was not successful, this ship was raised and delivered to France in 1920 where it was used for explosive tests.