The four ships of the Königsberg II
class were part of the constant development of small cruisers in Germany. Like their half sisters, the Pillau
class (which original was build for Russia after modified plans of the Königsberg II
class) they were equipped with 15 cm guns, giving them a much higher offensive potential than the older cruisers, only equipped with 10,5 cm guns.
Like other German small cruisers, they had a mixed coal/oil fires boiler system. They were maneuverable ships, but their stern tended to take over much water at high speed.
took part in the operations at the Baltic Islands in 1917, but was scuttled at Scapa Flow on 21.06.1919 like most other Hochseeflotte ships. Its wreck was sold in 1962 and partially broken up under water in 1963-1965.