The 15 torpedoboats of the Ariete
class were the largest class of ships captured by the Kriegsmarine after the Italian surrender in
September 1943. None of those ships were already completed at this time and after completion all were part of the 10th TFlottila, and used for mine laying, escort duty and coastal defense.
The former Auriga
was captured by Germans in advanced condition of fitting out, it was completed and renamed to. TA27
It was commissioned on 28.12.1943. From the last day of March on 1944 this unit was in the 11.Sicherungsdivision, 2.Geleitflottille. and was sunk at Portoferraio after a mine operation on 09.07.1944 after bomb hits.